Friday, December 14, 2007

Officially Neurotic

I've decided that I'm officially neurotic...I've also decided that I have the right to be since my son is having major heart surgery on Monday. Tuesday I noticed a slight rash on Jake's neck so I called the nurse on Wednesday. She thought it was probably more of his excema which to this point has just been on his legs and cheeks. Last night after he ate dinner, I noticed the bumps were all over his chest and stomach as well so I panicked. I first thought that this could prevent him from having surgery so that scared me. I researched online and looked at all sorts of disgusting pictures trying to match what I saw on Jake. I called my mom and discussed it with her for about an hour. Finally, this morning I took him into the doctor and they've concluded it is just his excema and nothing to worry about. Jake just has sensitive skin and its reacted to something. I've started letting him feed himself and last night I stripped him down and gave him bites of peaches. It could have been a reaction to the juice...who knows? All is well.
I know I've always been slightly neuortic, a little bit of a hypochondriac , and a tad OCD. Here's an example: In college my RA noticed I had several bruises on my legs. She noted that I should have that checked out because excessive bruising could be a symptom of lukemia so I started worrying. I was on the phone with my friend Jordan and he overheard our conversation. He thought that sounded serious and that I should visit the school nurse. The next day I was accompanied my six of my best friends to Harding's nurse's office where I informed the nurse I thought I had lukemia because I had some bruises. She nicely suggested I just had bruises and nothing was wrong. The poor woman probably thought I was crazy (bless my heart!). If you know me well, you know I am extremely clumsy and that would be why I had bruises. Looking back, its quite embarrasing that this stayed on my nurse's chart at Harding for four years. Every time I came in after that, they probably got a good laugh. I guess I've always had a flair for the dramatic. Who goes to the school nurse with 6 friends?
All this to say, I think I've handled Jake's heart problems well to this point. I've tried to stay calm and not constantly jump to conclusions. I've been level headed about his upcoming surgery to a point. But this week I'm at my breaking point! I'm ready to get all of this past us and worry about normal kid stuff. I did speak with the surgeon's nurse this morning and they don't want us to bring Jake in on Sunday to spend the night. We are just going to bring him in Monday morning for surgery. I have a number to call on Sunday to double check everything and to get a time to come on Monday. So we have 2 1/2 days to go....
The picture below was taken by Papa Al. It is a huge blessing for Jake to have a grandpa that owns his own photography buisness, Bluebonnet Photography. We used this picture for our Christmas card this year. I thought it nicely displays Jake's Texas roots :)


No comments: