So, Jake can't seem to catch a break. Monday I took him to his pediatrician for a follow-up from his Christmas sinus infection/ear infection. His ears have always been incredibly waxy and rather impossible to see in, so she referred us to an ENT. He had four sinus/ear infections this fall, and she wanted us to get that taken care of before heart surgery time.
Monday night Jake started running fever…The past three days it's been around 102 without Tylenol/Motrin. Tuesday I called the doctor back, and they felt like it was the recurring sinus/ear infection and got us into the ENT today. The doctor didn't simply want to put him on another antibiotic (which I appreciated).
Today, we saw the ENT. He spent 20 minutes vacuuming out Jake's ears. Poor little guy had a temp of 102.5 while this was happening. He determined there was no infection but fluid around the ears from previous infections. He suggested we get the flu test. He also thinks Jake needs tubes to prevent the recurring infections. I loved this doctor, but he said he couldn't put them in because there was no way Jake's cardiologist would agreed to him having surgery in the Woodlands so he referred us to an ENT at TCH. He said they could do it while we were at the hospital for heart surgery maybe.
Jake is now screaming and burning up (Grace starts crying b/c Jake is)…I just drove back to our pediatrician's office and begged for a flu test and a strep test. They felt sorry for me and I got in with another doctor there (ours was out) and sure enough…he has the flu. Apparently, he has type B flu which they had not yet seen in their office yet this season. Leave it to Jake to be the first.
Now I feel pretty awful. I never got his flu shot this year. Everytime I tried, he was sick with a sinus infection and we couldn't do it. I gave up and didn't get it done. Not winning any Mother of the Year awards for that decision.
Hopefully, after another day or so, the flu will run its course.
**Also, I did talk to the cardiologist today. The surgeon's office should call me within 7 days. At the consult with the surgeons, they were in disagreement about whether to replace Jake's valve or to just take the membrane. We'll discuss all of the pros and cons when we meet with the surgeon.
So, that's been our week so far. We want to pray that Jake gets over this quickly and for Grace not to get sick. We also want to pray for the wisdom of the surgeons reviewing Jake's case and for wisdom for Ty and I when we meet with them.
I don't want our blog to become one sad medical story after another, but I guess right now I need to humble myself and let people know how to pray for Jake and us. I've already been overwhelmed by the calls and messages from so many. It's humbling to say the least but such a comfort to know Jake is being lifted up to God so much. He was scared of monsters in his room earlier this week one night, and I told him God was watching over him, and he had no idea how many people were praying for him! Thank you for that!
2 comments:
Oh Amy, I am so sorry to hear this. Poor Jake! I do hope the flu moves on very quickly. I will pray for him and for you all too. I know, as a mom, it is so hard to watch your child be sick. Hope he gets well quickly!
Amy! i am so sorry! I know you are ready for some relief! I will definitely keep jake in my prayers! Love to you all and super big hugs!!!
Post a Comment