Monday, July 23, 2007

That's All She Wrote...




Friday night, Jake had quite an exciting late night. Lauren Hance and I took Jake to Barnes and Noble for the Harry Potter release party where we met several of our students from Northland. (In the above pictures, Jake is with Molly in one and then Nat, Lauren, Emily, Amy, Paul, and Molly in the other.) The atmosphere felt like New Year's Eve...everyone was so excited and the store was packed to the brim. I had made Jake a shirt for the occasion with "Weasley Jr." on it...since his hair has a red tint to it, I figured he looks more like a little Ron than a little Harry. I had never been to a midnight release party for Harry Potter but wanted to make it to this last one. There was a countdown before 12:01 and then they started selling the books. I started reading Friday night when we got home and finished up about midnight on Saturday. Ty says this makes me a huge nerd for first of all reading all of the Harry books and then second of all for reading the last book in one day. I honestly couldn't help it...I had to know what happened. (***If you haven't finished reading it or plan to, don't read the rest of this) I knew in my heart that Harry would live and did...he lived happily ever after! I personally loved this ending. I like stories that are tied up in neat packages in the end--where the good guy wins and the bad guy loses--where the guy gets the girl--where when I finish reading, I'm smiling. Rowling does not disappoint in this last installment. The book explains a lot of background about Harry and Dumbledore, and she continues to shape many of her complex characters. Her characterization is simply extraordinary, and we see the flaws in Sirius and Dumbledore and ultimately the good in Snape (which I had to say surprised me). I'm sad this is the end of the series, but hopefully someday Jake will want to read them and that will bring them to life all over again. One of my favorite quotes says something to the effect that re-opening a good book is like visiting an old friend. That's the beauty of literature!

No comments: