Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Hendrix!

A few weekends ago, we took a much needed, long anticipated, but super quick trip to Oklahoma to help celebrate my nephew Hendrix's 5th birthday. On Friday before the big party, we took a walk around Bricktown since I hadn't been down there in NINE years. When I run into people who have recently visited OKC, they all rave about the great downtown. It's changed so much since I was in high school; it's hard to recognize! The last time I was down there was the night of my bachlorette party...we were due for another trip :)

Jake wore his OU jersey, and he had a couple of people yell, "Boomer" at him. I need to teach him that the correct response is "Sooner!" We walked down around where the Thunder play and it awesome to see the love for the team. Who would have thought back when I lived here that OKC would have an pro basketball team and that they would do so well? It's fun to cheer for the Thunder! I've taught the kids to chant "Thunder up!" when watching the games. In fact, the other day, I found out our kids thought they lived in Oklahoma. Apparently, I do a good job of teaching pride for my state, but a bad job of teaching pride for the one we live in and they were born in :) They now know they live in Texas :) We are also proud of Texas; it is a great place to live! Jake has shirts from the pro teams here, we just won't be buying him collegiate Texas shirts, ever.

Hendrix and Jake watching a plastic bag float in the canal. I gave them a bag of goldfish to throw to the ducks and they threw the whole bag in...oops! Poppy saved the day and fished them out after some drama where he threw the bag back to us and it landed in front of one of the canal boats and gave everyone a good laugh.

Boomer Sooner!

Hendrix...I can't believe he's 5! Such a great kid!

Posing in Bricktown

Gracie Girlfriend (her name for herself)

Thunder Up!

Saturday, we celebrated Hendrix with my an incredibly awesome Angry Birds' party! Ryan and Crystina are so creative and did such a great job.

The life size sling shot Ryan built

The "pigs"--they had big green balloons and Ryan built this platform for them. The kids would use the catapult to launch the balls (birds) and take down the pigs.


the goodie bags

The cake made by my talented sister-in-law, Crys!

Crys also made this great pinata

Grace and Gentry having a great time at the party!

We had a cookout Saturday night and the kids got lots of quality time with their cousins and with Gigi and Poppy, and I got to catch up with my Uncle David and Aunt Cindi, too. We're looking forward to spending a week in Oklahoma in July. Two days was way too short of a trip!

Grace in the backyard

Morgan Jane--she's gotten so big! We hadn't seen her since Thanksgiving..way TOO long! Hopefully, we'll spend more quality time together this summer. Ryan and Crys are going to come visit us this summer, too :) Yea for more cousin time!

No comments: