Back in April, Jake's cardiologist told us that the membrane on his heart had already started growing back since his March surgery so we should just "have a great summer" and worry about it again in August. We have done just that and even got great news from her last week to boot :) We haven't gone any exotic vacations or traveled much, but we have really enjoyed our summer. We've swam a lot, played with friends, rested, gotten a good tan, and made some good memories. I just love the ages the kids are at--they are best friends and love each other so much (except when they don't!) and are imaginative and inquisitive and I think if I loved them anymore, my heart would burst! Here's what we've been up to the past month:
Jake got a "new" bike and does a great job riding his "big boy" bike.
We welcomed home the astronauts from the last Space Shuttle mission ever in the U.S.A. at Ellington Field. Ty loves all things NASA and wanted the kids to experience this piece of history. It was really a neat day! Here's Grace with her astronaut bear in the hot Texas wind :)
And, here's Jake with his mini Astronaut...
Jake on his way to his heart check-up wearing his OU hat which he always wears to the hospital. We got GREAT news! The membrane had grown just slightly since April. He still has no restrictions so he can even play sports this fall if he wants. We don't go back until after Christmas. Yea! So, now our instructions are to enjoy the fall. I think we can do that for sure :) I know I always say this, but Jake really is the model patient. He is always awesome for all of his tests--he even held still for his ONE HOUR echo (slowest one ever) and didn't complain. Mommy on the other hand has a really hard time being patient at these marathon appointments. It looks like I need to look to Jake for a role model :)
He did have to do a take home EKG Holter Monitor because he had had some unusual chest pains the week before. It's a 24 hour test and we'll get the results next week, but I expect them to be great as well. After we get those results (about the heart rhythm), he may get weaned off his beta blocker medicine, but the doctor isn't sure because she thinks it actually may be helping the membrane not grow so we'll wait and see. Here he is with his monitor on...you can't really tell but he has the wires on under his shirt and then the monitor put in the stuffed monkey backpack. He got the monkey from the hospital after his surgery last time and was excited to wear the Holter just so he could wear the monkey backpack again :)
My new favorite picture!
No comments:
Post a Comment