There's no place like home...After spending four hours in an airport last night and four hours on a plane, the saying "there's no place like home" takes on much more meaning! Even though Jake and I are fairly exhausted today, we had an incredible time in New York. Here are some of the highlights:
Friday: Jake and I ventured out with a map and Ty's rental car and found a great mall while Ty was in class. Sallie met us later that afternoon and when Ty got home, we all headed to the Bronx and the Yankees' game. I must say that Yankees' games are MUCH louder than Astros' games. The fans are something else to say the least. They love their Yankees! Jake did not like the first time the crowd literally ROARED and he broke out in his own "roar." He adjusted eventually and started entertaining the people around us with his award winning smile, but we left during the 7th inning stretch because he had had enough of America's favorite past time for one evening.

Saturday: What a fun day! We began by taking Jake to see Kings Point, Ty's college. We strolled him around and took strategic pictures around campus. Ty was very proud to show Jake off a bit. We then took him on his first train ride into New York City! He did great and loved the movement of the train. We just wanted to enjoy the city and take in the atmosphere so Sal gave us a great tour of the Village and the Washington Square area. I personally really wanted to see a celebrity, so Sal took us to some possible areas for "star sightings." We didn't see any stars, but had cupcakes at the famous Magnolia bakery (we waited in line for 45 minutes) and then settled in Washington Park to people watch. We took the subway to Times Square later and Jake LOVED the bright lights! It was beautiful weather and a simply delightful afternoon.





Sunday: We got in our cars Sunday morning and an hour and a half later made it to church at the Manhattan church of Christ. The traffic on the Long Island Expressway was something to behold...it made Houston look like a small town. Ty drove our rental and we followed Sallie into the city. When we got there, we couldn't find a parking place right away so eventually Ty got out at the church and I got to park the car. I found this simply exhilirating! I parallel parked in Manhattan, put Jake in his stroller, and walked five blocks to church. This sounds so silly, but I found it so much fun. One of my favorite parts of the trip was driving and the adventure of getting out a map and finding new places. After church we went to a party for some friends of Sallie's at a penthouse apartment...talk about beautiful! This was a bit different than our church potlucks down here :) Ironically, the house belongs to our good friend Robert Hance's aunt and uncle. His uncle is a heart surgeon in the city so he and Ty had a good bit to talk about. After the swanky church party, we strolled around Central Park and let Jake play in the grass. He was ready to play on the ground a bit after all the riding in the stroller.
Monday: Sal had to go back to work and Ty was in classes so Jake and I had our "cultural day." We drove to Walt Whitman's house to see where the famous poet once lived. They were actually closed, but when the ladies that run it found out I'm an English teacher, they let us in anyway. It was a nice little museum with some original manuscripts from old Walt. Monday evening, Ty and I took Jake to see where the U.S. Open is played and took some pictures of him on the courts.

Tuesday: On our last day, I wanted to take Jake to see the home of Theodore Roosevelt. Unfortunately, when we got there, they were closed as well. Apparently Mondays and Tuesdays are not good days for tours. The woman there was not a kind kindred spirit like at Walt Whitman's house and did not give us a special tour :( Ty took us to the airport and after a slight delay we got back home late last night.
We had such a great time with Sallie. I believe Jake is quite fond of her :) Thanks, Sal, for a terrific visit and for trying to make me feel like a real "New Yorker." Jake did love the city and is becoming quite the seasoned traveler. Here's to many more fun vacations!
1 comment:
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Great job traveling alone with Jake. I know how stressful it can be, but it's so worth it.
Post a Comment