Earlier this fall I stumbled across my favorite new website called
The Tip Junkie. They compile a list of their favorite crafty blog ideas each day and they are always brilliant choices! My favorite idea I found so far was a turkey NO-SEW handprint shirt. I now have a sewing machine, but have yet to learn to use it SO this seemed like a great idea! Here is the
link to the idea. Basically, I got fabric squares from Hobby Lobby and traced her hands in different colors, used a fun patterned felt for the body, and ribbon for the gobbler. I used new-sew backing to attach it all to the shirt which I got for $3 at Wal-Mart. I talked my friend Misty into making them with me for her triplets, and we had a blast making them. We changed up the colors so instead of orange and brown turkeys, we did pink for the girls. It did take some time to make since we were making four shirts while corralling 6 kids :)
We also made boy shirts for Jake and Caden but didn't do the handprint idea; we just kind of made up a boy looking version using camo material ($1 camo handkerchiefs from Hobby Lobby actually) and they loved them.
The bad news is since I just used no sew adhesive, Grace's shirt didn't last after three wears BUT it was a super fun project and has motivated me to learn to use my sewing machine! I could easily do the same thing again and sew it to last.
Here are the final products:

Grace modeling her shirt (it did have pink legs too out of rick rack, but they had already fallen off!)

Jake's shirt (best picture I could get of him!)...here he is at feast day at school with his indian head band and Thanksgiving necklace on, too)
No comments:
Post a Comment