Saturday, April 09, 2011

Fever's Broken--Fingers Crossed

Jake ran a fever of 102 around 5:00 last night and after that dose of Tylenol, it thankfully hasn't come back. The cardiologist came by this morning and said Jake's blood cultures hadn't grown anything so he definitely has a viral infection not a bacterial one...good news! It also appears that the virus hasn't affected his heart, also great news! She wanted to continue to monitor him today to make sure the fever doesn't come back so we'll be here until at least tomorrow morning.

We don't know where the virus came from because we've kept Jake in from the outside world for the most part. None of the family has been sick but it's possible one of us was exposed to something but didn't really get sick but brought it home to Jake and with his weakened immune system, it affected him. We're just praying that the fever is gone for good and that'll we'll get to go home tomorrow.

Once we do get home, they've recommended that we continue to keep Jake in until he sees his regular cardiologist on April 18th and gives him the OK to resume normal life. One more week of house arrest...

I'm missing my Gracie girl today but thankful that JoJo is taking good care of her. She and I will have to have a girl's day soon to shower her with some much needed attention.

We're also grateful for the great care at TCH. All of the attending physicians as well as the residents have been fantastic. The nurses are all great too. We've seen some of our favorites this weekend!

I'm so proud of Jake. I know I'm his mom but I'm also his biggest fan. When they come in to listen to his heart, he lifts his shirt without being asked and smiles. When they come to do his vitals, he compliantly gives them his arm for his blood pressure and his finger for the pulse-ox. If he would only take his medicine that easily :) He really is such a trooper! When he's feeling better, he spends his time perched in his windowsill watching for helicopters and playing on my iPhone (my best purchase ever!). He's now an expert Angry Birds player and can navigate youtube like no one else. He's learned to save his favorite videos and then look at suggestions for others he would like.

Life has been inconvenient for us this winter/spring and I hate everything that Jake has been through. I as well as Ty would GLADLY take his place. Yet, as I just came up on the elevator from a trip to Chipolte on a chips and salsa run for Jake, I met a dad whose son has been here a year...A YEAR. His wife stays during the week and he stays every weekend so he can still work and keep their insurance. These halls at TCH are filled with heart breaking stories. Anytime I feel sad or sorry for us, it is easy to put things into perspective.

We've tried to be advocates for CHDs through our experience and through our work with It's My Heart which is a wonderful organization which provides so much support for CHD families. But I pray that God will use our story even more. I feel like their is such a ministry up here for families that are here for long stays and I pray God will reveal a way we can minister to them/serve them in some way. I don't know what that looks like yet but it's on my heart.

In the meantime, we are going to continue to pray for a rapid recovery for our precious Jake...

1 comment:

Saving Grace said...

Praying for Jake!! And for you and Ty to be filled with peace and comfort! It's just like you to be trying to find a way to minister while you are going through your own tough situation! If Ben and I can do anything to help you guys, please don't hesitate to ask!